Sunday, December 20, 2015

Our Christmas Traditions




1. The Christmas Tree
We normal get the Christmas tree up around the first few weeks of December, however, since moving we have to think about when to put it up a bit more carefully. We now have under floor heating, a beautiful thing in the winter, however not so much for a live christmas tree... The under floor heating actually dries out the tree a lot quicker, it heats up the water, so it evaporates quicker and we are constantly having to check the water levels every few hours, the pins drop off faster and the tree just generally suffers. So this year we've put up the pencil artificial tree in the kitchen but are yet to buy a real one. If you you know of a way to protect a real tree from under floor heating please let me know!
To me a real Christmas tree is the heart of christmas.

2. Chestnuts
Roasting on an open fire! Well ok we don't have the fire any more but thats not stopping us! You can easily roast chestnuts under the grill! Alright its not quite the same, but its something my dad and I enjoy doing together on christmas eve so nothing will stop us.

3. Christmas Eve
Before we moved, we used to visit family and share a drink and pass out the presents. Now, being 400 miles away its a bit difficult. So unfortunately a tradition has changed. Instead we spend that family time, just a bit smaller than before.

4. Christmas Day Breakfast
Ok I don't wake up as early as I used too, a lye in is something I will enjoy on Christmas day. Dad is normally the first one up, he likes to enjoy salmon for breakfast with a bit of champaign on the side, after all is a day of no rules in our house! (I don't join in on the salmon but I won't say no to a bit of bubbly, but the best bit is seeing dad enjoy himself, thats my favourite bit)

5. Christmas Day Dinner
Christmas dinner is a step up from sunday dinner. My mum and dad pull all the stops for it, To be completely honest its the biggest thing we do on christmas day. Although it's always the same dinner as previous years, it is truly the best meal of the the year, hands down.

6. Films and a Kip
Breakfast and champaign, presents and sharing, Christmas dinner is then followed by Dr Who Christmas special, which usually then leads to mum and dad both falling asleep or otherwise known as a food comer, the rest of the day is spent relaxing and enjoying the day. I would love a big family Christmas but right now just the three of us is absolutely fine, maybe one day it will grow.

Christmas is without doubt my favourite holiday. Just seeing people forget their worries, smiles on faces and everybody is so happy to just chat with anybody. At work in particular, everybody has so happy to have a conversation and good wishes are every where. To me it feels like its that time of year people come together and moods are higher, whats not to love. Christmas is my favourite time of the year by far!


Happy Holidays!
Charlie xo

No comments :

Post a Comment