Saturday, October 10, 2015

Beginners Guide To Lipstick


Up until two/three years ago I never touched lipstick, I thought I wasn't brave enough to try it and that everyone who did, new themselves and they looked like they had their lives together! There is just such a range of colours and shades it seemed too difficult to even consider jumping into that ocean of possibilities!

Along with not feeling brave enough to try lipsticks, I also thought that the problem I have always had with my lips would never allow me to even try. I've mentioned this multiple times but my lips are seriously effected by the weather. For me they have been my biggest problem area, even over blemishes during those teen years. They dry out at the slightest drop in temperature and I am forever buying new lip balms to keep them moisturised, and supple, instead of dry cracked and sore. (Not pretty I can tell you!)


With the condition of my lips and how they behaved I knew I should start with a lip tint. Something like a moisturiser that would colour my lips as well as keeping them nourished. I'd watched many a Youtube Haul and reviews and final decided to try out the Maybeline Lip Butters, specifically the Pink Truffle as it wasn't too pigmented to look like a lipstick but gave enough of a difference for me to feel like I was taking a risk (granted a small risk, but at the time, for me it was huge!)


From here I tried other colours within the collection, this helped give me an idea of what kind of colours and tones I liked and didn't like. For example I like browns and berry colours, whilst pinks I was not comfortable in and I did not think that they suited me.

From here you just have to find the right kind of formulations and textures to suit you. Swatching and finding reviews was the best method for me, sometimes you might find that the lipstick doesn't feel very nice on your lips if it is brand new. However I have found that after several uses, once you have made a dent in the product the formulation changes, often to a softer, easier on the lips texture.


Once you've found a lipstick/balm you like, you can build up your confidence! You don't have to develop into darker or brighter colours. You can start venturing into lipsticks which are most opac but in a similar colour range as to your lips, and build up your confidence that way. I moved onto other colours and brought a lot of colours which I eventually realised I didn't like and didn't suit me like they did others. (money wasted)


If you are a bit daunted by lipsticks but want to jump into the endless world of beautiful lips, start small, something neutral and more like a balm is an easy place to start out. Build up slowly and do your research. Find review and swatches with good photos or even better youtube videos with good images. Find out what would best suit you, texture wise, no what your lips are like, do you suffer with dry lips and need to moisturise them 24/7 like I do, or do they put up with anything! (In which case I'm super jealous of you!) Think about the kind of colours you like seeing on others and whether they would suit you, sometime you will just have to try some out, but hey the drugstore's are amazing places to find things to try which aren't too expensive! And the last thing to remember is that what ever you put on your lips, what ever colour, it will come off. It's not permanent and you can just try things on around the house, you don't have to go outside, you can test it out in the comfort of your own home and get comfortable with that lip colour be it bold or your lips but bolder! It's a way of expressing yourself so have a play, you never know you might end up loving lipsticks!


Charlie xo
Follow


No comments :

Post a Comment